Self Contained Rear / Top Vent Cooling Unit 1800XT-ECX #1086
All air-cooled refrigeration equipment requires fresh air intake to dissipate the heat generated by the cooling unit. The fresh air intake CANNOT come from the wine cellar space - it must come from space outside the cellar. Designed for indoor use only, 1800XT-ECX units can operate in environments ranging from 95F to 40F out of the box. To operate the unit in colder temperatures, please see modifications listed on the Options & Upgrades tab.
CellarPro 1800XT-ECX cooling units (1/6 Ton Nominal) are suitable for small wine cellars (up to 250 cubic feet), commercial applications and wine cabinets located in garages (in temperatures ranging from 50-95F).
Performance testing shows that this compact unit maintains optimal cellar temperature and humidity conditions more effectively than similar units from competing brands. 1800XT-ECX units use energy-efficient EC fans and are significantly quieter than comparable units from other brands. Visit our Learning Center for data tables, performance charts and product comparisons among different brands.
CellarPro 1800XT-ECX units are sized to replace Breezaire 2200 and Wine-Mate 2500 cooling units. Please confirm equivalent dimensions and airflow prior to purchase.
Our cooling units are designed to be used in properly-constructed wine cellars that are adequately insulated, airtight and sealed with a vapor barrier. In improperly-constructed cellars, the cooling unit will create excess condensation, leading to damage and premature failure of your cooling unit (not covered by warranty).
- Now with energy-efficient EC Fans on both the cold and hot sides, save $26.02 in annual energy costs vs AC fans (assumes 75% runtime and $0.15/kWh)
- This unit offers a choice of top or rear hot exhaust. If the unit's location does not provide sufficient room for airflow, you may need to purchase a rear duct kit.
- Adjustable humidity control combines a high-output compressor with flexible fan cycles to maintain a recommended level of moisture inside your cellar.
- Extra-large coils generate maximum cooling power.
- Commercial-grade Electrofin coating protects the evaporator coils from leaks and corrosion.
- Intuitive LED display panel mounted on the evaporator with digital programmable thermostat is simple and easy to use. Remote thermostat is available as an upgrade.
- Energy-saver mode, quick-chill mode, and auto-defrost cycle provide convenient solutions to common cellar needs.
- Temperature set point range is 47F to 62F when the cooling unit is properly sized.
- Unit operates with minimal vibrations and less noise than comparable units from competitors.
- Audible and visual alarms and maintenance-needed indicator protect the cooling unit and the wine cellar.
- 8-foot power cord exits from the rear and plugs into standard 110V receptacles.
- Common dedicated 15-amp circuit is required to power the unit.
- 3-amp electric receptacle is provided to run a small lamp.
- Removable steel case provides access to the internal components for servicing and repair.
- CellarPro's 5-Year Standard Warranty, the most thorough in the industry, protects the unit against manufacturing defects.
- An optional Enhanced Warranty (#1835) is available for additional protection.
- ETL Tested and Certified to rigorous UL Standards for safety.
- On the hot side, this unit intakes from the rear, and offers a choice of top or rear hot exhaust.
- On the cold side, this unit intakes from the front and exhausts from the bottom (thus the front 8 inches of the cooling unit must be inside the cellar.)
- The 1800XT-ECX requires fresh air intake at the rear of the cooling unit. If sufficient space does not exist to provide sufficient airflow to the rear of the cooling unit, you may need a rear duct kit.
- 1800 Series cooling units can be installed completely inside the wine cellar when used with our rear duct kit, which allows you to duct the supply and return airflows from the rear of the cooling unit up to 100 equivalent feet (50 feet per duct).
- Please note: The cold side of the 1800 Series cooling units cannot be ducted, and the hot side can be ducted with 6-inch ducting (no reductions) plus auxiliary fan support, which is included with our our rear duct kit.
- You must located this unit within the cellar, with the following exception: these units can be installed directly above the wine cellar when used with our front intake hood.
- For installation in environments below 40F, our compressor heater modification is required.
- For installation in environments below 20F down to -20F, we recommend our Fan-Cycling Switch (P/N 6972) combined with our compressor heater.
- A CellarPro cooling unit must always be used in the upright position, and should never be operated on its side or upside down.
Specs & Resources
Size: 18w x 16 1/2d x 10 1/2h (in)
Weight: 60 lbs
115V AC / 60 Hz
- Running: 3 Amps
- Startup: 20.1 Amps
- Total Watts: 263
- Requires: Dedicated 15-Amp Circuit
- Recommended: Surge Protector
Decibels: 47 dBA (Rear)
Capacity: 1456 BTUH @ 60F
Sizing Table: Click here to view sizing table
- Warranty Overview
- Limited Warranty - 5 Years (Entire System)
- Optional Extended Warranty (sold separately).
Click on one of the following links for more information:
- Spec Sheet
- Sizing Table
- Owner's Manual
- Product Brochure
- Configuration Options
- Installation Diagrams
- Adjustable Humidity Chart
- Sound Level
- Monthly Operating Cost
- Front, Rear & Side Views
- Top & Bottom View
- Rear Drawings - As Ducted
Options & Upgrades
- Compressor Heater #1727: protects the unit when installed in environments that drop below 40F down to 20F.
- Fan Cycling Switch #6972: supports the unit in temperatures below 20F and as low as -20F when combined with our compressor heater.
- Duct Intake Hood (Cold Side) #1932: permits the cooling unit to be placed directly above the cellar.
- Duct Hood (Hot Side) #7409: allows you to install the unit completely inside your cellar or in a small space with limited airflow. Includes an auxiliary fan, but no ducting.
- Duct Kit (Hot Side) #1439: same as the Duct Hood, this kit also includes 2 x 25-feet of 6-inch insulated (R-6) flex ducting.
Filters & Grills
- Use our filter & grill guide to find the cooling unit filter or duct filter and/or duct grill that is appropriate for your cooling unit.
Remote Control & Probe
- Remote Display #1603: lets you place the digital panel wherever you want, whether inside or outside the cellar. Includes 10 feet of wiring.
- Bottle Probe #1434: this remote thermostat with a 10-foot cord overrides the thermostat on the face of the cooling unit, and allows it to monitor air or liquid temperatures at various locations inside the cellar.
- Extension cords available in 25-foot (#1780) and 50-foot (#1781) lengths.
Other Options & Upgrades
- Condensate Drain Line: strongly recommended for wine cellar installations (but not required for wine cabinets), a drain line allows excess moisture to drain from the bottom (#7431) or rear (#1606) of the cooling unit.
- Condensate Drain Line plus Heating Element: combined with a drain line, we add a 100W heating element to burn of excess moisture. Available with bottom (#7432) or rear (#1709) drain lines.
- Power Cord Modification #1098: normally the cord exits from the rear of the cooling unit, which generally is outside the cellar; this modification moves the cord to the front of the cooling unit, so that it can be plugged into an outlet inside the cellar.
- Mounting Clips #1095: attached to the front of CellarPro 1800 Series cooling units, these clips are designed to be bolted to the ceiling inside the wine cabinet / cellar.
DID YOU KNOW?
Nobody protects your wine cellar better than CellarPro Cooling Systems! In the event your cooling unit fails and the failed components are covered by our warranty, we'll send a replacement cooling unit to you per the terms of our Replacement Unit Program
CellarPro Replacement Unit Program
If your CellarPro cooling unit fails and the parts that failed are still covered by warranty, we'll send a replacement cooling unit to you, as follows:
- Your cooling unit must be registered at CellarPro
- Your cooling unit must have been properly sized, installed and maintained
- Your cooling unit may not have been permanently modified, damaged or disfigured
- Replacement units are factory-refurbished cooling units with a similar build date as your original unit
- You are responsible for the shipping cost to send the replacement unit to you and return the original unit to us, and the cost (if any) to remove the original unit and install the replacement unit
- In order to send a replacement unit, we require a deposit, which will be refunded minus shipping costs upon the return and pending the inspection of the original unit
- If the original unit failed due to improper intallation or use, the failure is not covered by warranty and we will deduct the cost of the repairs from the refund of your deposit
A: You should always use Sensible BTUH* when comparing different brands of cooling units, and when sizing a cooling unit for your wine cellar. Every cooling unit produces a certain amount of Total BTUH, which is the sum of Sensible BTUH (lowers the temperature) and Latent BTUH (lowers the relative humidity). Because our goal is to cool wine cellars while preserving humidity, wine cellar cooling units should have high Sensible BTUH and low Latent BTUH. The relationship between Sensible and Latent BTUHs is know as SHR (Sensible Heat Ratio), which is calculated as Sensible BTUH/Total BTUH. The SHR for CellarPro cooling units is greater than 90%, which means that CellarPro units provide maximum cooling power without stripping out humidity from the cellar environment.
*CellarPro Sensible BTUHs are calculated assuming 55F cellar temperature, 60% relative humidity and 95F ambient for all units except 1800 units (85F ambient).
How cold can the temperature be where the cooling unit is installed?
A: For installations in environments below 40F down to 20F, we recommend adding our compressor heater (P/N 1727), which is included as standard equipment on all outdoor units. Below 20F, in addition to the compressor heater, we recommend adding our fan cycling switch (P/N 6972)
How do I choose between top exhaust versus rear exhaust? What about the fresh air intake?
The fresh air intake will always come from the rear of the cooling unit, and must pull air from OUTSIDE the wine cellar space - it must never be installed to pull air from inside the cellar. On 1800 Series cooling units, the hot air exhaust can exit from the top or the rear. Choose whichever configuration directs the exhaust to a space that is sufficiently large to accept the exhausted air, as long as the exhaust goes OUTSIDE the cellar and will NOT intermingle with the fresh air intake. If you plan to duct the hot side of the cooling unit, then the hot air will need to exhaust from the rear.
Does the unit really need a dedicated circuit?
A: First, the background. Unlike our competitors, we build our cooling units with precision expansion valves, not cap tubes, which means that our cooling units aren't limited to a 30F differential between the desired cellar temperature and the ambient temperature. Cooling systems with expansion valves are much more precise than cap tubes, and much more sensitive to low voltage conditions, which is why our units require dedicated circuits. When we say "dedicated circuit", we mean that the circuit shouldn't have any items that require heavy draws of electricity - eg other appliances, vacuum cleaners, big-screen TVs, blow-dryers - on the same circuit as the cooling unit. Lighting, computers or other low-draw items shouldn't be a problem on the same circuit.
Can the cooling unit be located in a remote location and ducted to/from the wine cellar?
A: These cooling units can be installed above the wine cellar when used with our front intake hood.
Does the unit need to be installed through the wall, or can I install the entire unit inside the cellar?
A: These cooling units can be installed completely inside the wine cellar when used with our rear duct kit (P/N 1439), which allows rear supply and return airflows from a temperature controlled environment OUTSIDE the cellar to be ducted (with insulated ducting to minimize heat transfer inside the cellar) up to 100 equivalent feet (50 feet per duct).
What if I don't have sufficient space behind the cooling unit for the hot air exhaust to dissipate?
A: The rear of the cooling units can be ducted to another location by using our rear duct kit (P/N 1439), which allows rear supply and return airflows from a temperature controlled environment OUTSIDE the cellar to be ducted up to 100 equivalent feet (50 feet per duct).
Do I need the condensate drain line?
A: If you are using the cooling unit in a sealed cabinet, you probably don't need the drain line. If you are using the cooling unit in a cellar, we recommend the drain line, which can be drained inside (bottom) or outside (rear) the wine cellar. Choose the 100W heating element to reduce drainage as it helps to burns off excess condensate before it reaches the drain line.
Ratings & Reviews
CellarPro Cooling Unit Review
Great product, great staff for ordering. Also clear instructions on installing.
2 Year Follow Up
This thing is awesome! I literally haven't had to touch it since I installed it into my custom cellar. Couldn't be happier.
5 Years Two Month Life
I have a Le Cache wine cabinet and have utilized two breezeaire units and with my recent purchase two cellarpro 1800XT units. My previous breezeaire units lasted an average of 8 years each. My first Cellar Pro exactly 5 years and two months. Upon its failure, I called and was offered to return for troubleshooting or purchasing new. Given 500 bottles worth more than the cost of a unit, opted to purchase a new one. Unfortunately they did not have any in stock and one needed to be manufactured (Around the time of 2017 fires). Despite this I received it within a weeks time. I can only hope the latest 1800xt will last longer than 5 years. I was told some engineering changes were made that should help longevity, time will tell. As far as the working unit is concerned it did a fine job and the alarm was what caused me to investigate the source and found internal temp was 76 degrees, a wine saving feature, that alarm.
1800 XT Cooling Unit
I purchased the 1800XT to replace my Cellar Pro 1800 that was 8 years old. I called Cellar Pro to ensure that I was ordering the correct replacement unit and to ask some additional questions. The gentleman at Cellar Pro was very professional and very helpful. I placed my order with him and the unit was delivered as promised. Installation was straight forward and the unit works perfectly.
by Tim -
I purchased this unit after my Wine-Mate 2500 stopped working. The main reason I chose the Cellarpro 1800XT was the operating temperature. This the unit can work in an area up to 95 degrees, 10 degrees more than the Wine-Mate. My old Wine-Mate simply could not keep up on on days when the outside temperature went above 90 degrees. It would run nearly constantly and simply heat up the garage.
Over this last weekend, San Jose hit 108 degrees. My garage was at 91 and the CellarPro was not even running. It worked perfectly. Also this unit is dramatically quieter than the Wine-Mate.
1800XT Cooling Unit Review
by Axiom Construction Services
Wonderful cooling unit. Great price. I am contractor that build cellars and have used others at a much greater expense that don't last as long. The shortest duration of one unit was 9.5 years! Worth every cent.
Great unit and customer service
I needed a new cooling unit to replace a 16 year old Breezaire that finally gave up the ghost. I selected the CellarPro 1800xt based on the reviews and the dimensions are an exact match for my Breezaire. Bryan, the customer service rep was knowledgeable about the products, answered all questions, and got me the unit in two days. The unit was easy to install, the documentation is very complete, and I was able to get up and running within an hour.
Great custom service and advice
by Brady T
I had a vinotemp for 5-6 years and I was great till I needed something.
After 8-9 calls to the factory and a dozen or more to there 3rd party service provider I though I had it figured out. I had to call every local service shop they had and all but 1 said they wouldn't work on it (cause they don't like dealing with vinotemp).
Once I drove across town the guy said I would cost more to fix then a new one.
So now I'm back to square one, it's been 2+ weeks of a busted chiller and I still need an one.
I searched for a good price and found one on Amazon, sold by Amazon, but thought the factory would want to beat the price and deal direct.
She last took my number and said she'd call back, never did. Next day the listing on Amazon was taken down.
I will never buy another product from vinotemp, run around and bad rep seems to be they business.
Cellarpro actual answers their phones, knows about their product, and freely shares detailed information their product.
The units are well sorted, inside out side power cable options as well as venting options.
I highly recommend cellarpro to anyone considering the switch.
Glad to have found a quick replacement for my failed WineMate unit. The 1800XT fit excatly and works flawlessly.
Now to the criticism. CellarPro does not list a location on their website. I needed the unit ASAP as mine failed during a 100°+ heat wave. The website clained feee shipping but when I went to check out the free shipping was ground, would process in 3-4 days and take however long it takes to get from them to me. I obviously could not wait that long so I opted for Next Day Shipping. That evening I receive a shipping notice from FedEx showing the unit on its way coming from Petaluma CA which is 30 minutes South of me. I could have driven to CellarPro and picked up the unit the same day I ordered it and not paid $141 shipping. Or even opted for free shipping and still had it as soon as the overnight option. All for an omission from your website.
I sent CellarPro an email explaining this and my frustration over it. Never got a return email, phone call, letter in the mail... nothing. Unit is great, customer service/communication could use some help.
1800XT Cooling Unit
by Glenn M -
The Cellarpro rep was very knowledgeable /professional and responded promptly to my Cooling Unit needs. I received the unit within a couple of days and the Unit works great. Would purchase another one if needed.
Great Unit Great Service
by Mike M -
The unit I had was a Winemate and I could not get a service rep from that firm to return my call. I found Cellar Pro and thank goodness I did. My sales guy was exceptionally knowledgeable about the product I needed and spent a good deal of time with me on the phone asking questions to make sure he recommended the right unit. He also provided great advice on how to install the unit. I purchased the unit over the phone and it was delivered right away. I could not be happier. My wine cabinet is maintaining perfect temp and the unit is very quiet. Cellarpro is the way to go!
by Clever Construction
Bought both the Build 800 and a Cellar Pro 1800 XT for another unit.
Installed as an upgrade to a 18 year old Vintotechque 450 bottle unit. fit into the existing unit but it is helped to have the little hanger clips from the old unit.
Wouldn't let me make a mistake
by Walther H
I am a licensed Handyman and I've built three "Wine Walls/Closet" for my customers. I just built a refrigerated wine closet from an existing wine closet for a customer. I had to dismantle all the racks in remove all the wood facnigns to get at the bones of the old closet.
The "new" area was properly sealed, waterproofed and insulated and the original wood liner and racks were reinstalled. The hole was cut and framed for the chiller.
I submitted all my dimensions, glass area, and insulation factors to CellarPro. I chose a unit.
I got a nice email back from CellarPro letting me know I probably chose the wrong unit. I had guessed from memory (faulty memory) at the closet size and the glass area. I re-measured t he next morning and called CellarPro to confirm and to help me calculate what unit I Needed. The new calc with the "real" sizes showed I ordered correctly, but the unit was on the "edge" for cooling capacity.
CellarPro advised me that for the same $ I could go to the next larger unit.
They would not let me make a mistake - my customer is a "snowbird" and returned to see their new, refrigerated wine closet. They loved it and are so very happy.
Working perfectly after two months
by Frank W
I replaced a Wine-Mate unit that had failed after six years with an 1800XT. Installation took only a few minutes as every part matched and the new unit dropped right into place. Unfortunately the ambient temperature on the first day was at the upper limit of the CellarPro's range, and the unit overheated after a couple hours. I rearranged the venting and put a small fan in place until my wine cabinet reached the desired temperature. I have since removed the fan and restored the venting to the original state and the CellarPro has been working perfectly. The CellarPro is considerably quieter than the Wine-Mate and seems to run less, although the ambient temperature is lower now than when we started. It's nice being able to not worry about my wine, so I've started buying wine again...
CellarPro 1800 Cooler Repair
by Richard M
Outstanding response and thank you for standing by your product.
Excellent Wine Cooling Unit!
I highly recommend the 1800XT. It has been extremely reliable and has cooled our wine cellar perfectly. We had a problem with our unit not cooling after 3 years of use and Cellar Pro's customer service has done everything to insure that our problem is solved. I only wish the return shipping was paid for with a return shipping label.
Excellent Unit so far--9 months report
I bought the 1800XT in March 2015 after considerable research. I replaced a cheap Chinese unit that failed after a year--then the seller sent me a new one that failed after a year! So I was skeptical of everything. But this unit is doing fine. I have a closet that I insulated A LOT. It is about 120 cu ft. It holds about 40 cases and I keep it quite full. The CellarPro has done everything that they said it would. It cooled the space down very quickly, almost with no condensation. I never get water. It runs reasonably quiet in my installation (all interior walls, and around the corner from the living room and down a little hall. It vents into the laundry room which is on the next room (away from the living room). It might be rather distracting if it vented into a living room. But down the hall is fine--not too loud. It keeps the temperature perfectly between 56 and 60. It seems to be on about 1/4 of the time. That does not seem to vary with the outside temperature. It is still running strong--much more air flow than the old Chinese one. I vacuum the back fins monthly. I will continue keep posting progress reviews at least yearly, because longevity is important PS I also was pleased to be able to talk to very knowledgeable people directly at CellarPro.
i have an old school Vinotemp with a dead breezaire. The 1800XT was a perfect fit to replace the Breezaire, and after we read the directions (haha), it installed easily. So far, very very happy.
So Far So Good
Unit is running in a hot garage and keeping the wine at a cool temp. I do not have a bottle probe so I am unsure if the wine is cooled to the exact temperature, but by feel the bottle seem to be properly chilled. I would recommend this model for the above stated environment and I intend to order the bottle probe.
1800XT Product Review
I installed my Cellar Pro 1800XT about a month ago. It runs cool, and the fan moves a lot of air. It is pretty quiet, but I am glad it is down the hall and venting into a room away from the living room. It is running about 1/4 of the time, and I am very happy. I ran through three cheap Chinese coolers. No good--they do not last much over the one year warranty, Fortunately the seller heavily discounted the replacements, but after the third on I gave up.
I will try to remember to re-review this unit at the end of each year I own it. It seems to be a very good unit. DO get the clips for mounting!
by TODD -
Compact self contained system. Easy installation.
1800XT Product Review
by Angela Mullen
Our last wine cooler box, a whisper Kool, died suddenly after only 2 years of use. So we had a contractor friend ask around about other coolers. Cellar pro 1800XT came highly recommended but we did our own research anyway and found that other folks agreed that this was the unit to get. Our basement gets hot both more in the winter than summer, so we need a unit that can operate at higher than normal temps. It is much quieter than our old whisper Kool. We also purchased the filter that attaches by magnetized strip to the back since it is just above my workbench and dust is can be an issue on rare occasions. All in all we like it very much and found it to be well worth the the price tag, so far
Excellent performance from the 1800XT
by A McCall
The 1800XtT was a direct replacement for my Winemate. The installation was easy. Do buy the mounting clips. It's curious that they are offered as an option instead of just being included with your purchase. I'm mechanically inclined and I would not attempt installing the unit without them (not worth the hassle). The system cooled my 440 bottle cellar with glass doors that I had loaded with about 150 bottles in less than four hours. The digital display is easy to use and I have it set at 57 degrees. I store the unit in my garage and it's surprisingly quieter than I had expected. During the heat of the day it typically cycles on and off every fifteen minutes. I also purchased the optional air filter that magnetically attaches to the rear of the unit. The magnetic strips that hold the frame onto the unit hold, but barely. If you're looking for maximum longevity of the unit seems like cheap insurance to me. All in all I'm very pleased with the performance of the 1800XT.
by M Moore
the unit was an exact fit for replacing my Breezaire 1060 - it simply slid perfectly into the opening in my 300 bottle cabinet. Its working perfectly and is much quieter than I expected. The writeup says the smaller unit is quieter but the 1800 is much quieter than the old Breezaire.
Great new unit
by Antony Francis
I just replaced my 13 year old LeCache original unit and switched to the Cellar Pro 1800XT. My cabinet is in my garage (in Dallas it is 100 degrees at present). The 1800XT was easy to install and is doing a great job. I resealed all corners and the seams while the wine was out and everything is now cooling at 60 degrees ...